C.1905, Burnt Orange and Metal vase, 7cm Diameter.
Val Saint Lambert
Val Saint Lambert - This glass house was founded in Seraing-sur-Meuse in 1825. It was on the site of an abbey called Val Saint-Lambert. In 1825 it was part of the Netherlands, but in 1830 it became part of Belgium. Production started with basic tableware, and eventually lead to high quality lead crystal. Merging with several other glassworks along the way and so became the most well-known Belgian glass producer. During the latter half of the 19th Century, they produced tableware, paperweights, optical, cut, etched, engraved, Venetian style and commercial glass. On the purchase of yet another factory, they could also specialise in lighting. At the start of the 20th Century, they began to produce in the Art Nouveau style, with such famous designers as Amedee de Caranza. They were also famous for their Secessionist style, having complimentary metal mounts designed by Gustave Serrurier-Bovy and Pilippe Wolfers. Henry van de Velde also produced designs, including some cut glass, and Victor Horta commissioned light shades. Very famously Desire and Henri Muller worked at Val Saint-Lambert in 1906 producing fantastic Art Nouveau pieces. After the First World War, Art Nouveau was very much out of fashion, and they went back to more rigid cut glass, including some glass which imitated beaten metal by the haphazard system of cutting and carving small facets from the glass. This is called battuto decoration. During the 1930's they produced a wide range of items, from high quality engraved pieces to cheap pressed opalescent glass. Traditional cut glass was to become their main production. To this they added some commissions of famous designers, such as Nanny Still from Finland, Sam Herman and Harvey Littleton. The company was sold to the Belgian government in 1971, and went through some financial problems during the 1970's. Today it is thriving, and has a wide range of designers, including Philippe Starck, and produces very high quality gift and table ware.